How to Protect Smooth Leather
You know how great those leather boots or that leather jacket looks when you first get them. But how do you keep them looking that way year after year? It’s a simple process that requires a little time and attention.
Follow this guidance when cleaning and conditioning smooth leather like most boots, jackets, and furniture:
- If the leather is dirty or dusty, use a water-moistened cloth to remove the crud.
- Use a clean microfiber cloth if you have one, or a soft cotton cloth. Prepare a 50:50 mix of white vinegar and water. With a circular motion, apply the mixture to loosen and remove the dirt from the leather fibers. Return the cloth to the vinegar/water mixture several times and wring out. Don’t use dirty mixture. Don’t soak it. Just clean it.
- Allow the leather to dry before conditioning the leather.
- Apply a mixture of 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts linseed oil or flaxseed oil in small circular motions using a clean microfiber cloth. Let the mixture stay on the leather overnight.
- The next morning, using a clean microfiber cloth, wipe off any excess mixture and buff the leather.
If you have stains on your leather, allow a leather professional to help you before cleaning and conditioning the piece. There are some home remedies but be careful. Champion Cleaners will be glad to handle stain removal, cleaning, and conditioning your leather for you.